P-MAP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

When is the application deadline?

We have not yet set the application timeline for the 2019 cycle.  Please visit the website in spring 2018 for more information.

Can I apply if I’m not an Arizona resident?

To be eligible for P-MAP, you must be an Arizona resident. If you are not sure of your residency status, you can contact the Residency Classification Office for information on requirements for proving resident status.

What if I already have a master’s degree?

Having a graduate degree does not preclude you from admission to P-MAP. We have admitted students who have completed doctoral (Ph.D.) and/or master degrees in previous cohorts.

What if I have already completed the Cellular & Molecular Medicine master’s program?

You may still be eligible to apply to P-MAP. You would likely have a different set of course requirements, as arranged with your CMM advisor, to build upon your previous CMM study and prepare you for medical school.

Will applying late hurt my application?

Applications are not reviewed until the application has closed, so applications received early in the application period and applications received right before the deadline are reviewed at the same time and in the same manner.

Is P-MAP the same as the Pathway Scholars Program in Phoenix?

The Pre-Medical Admissions Pathway is only available at the UA College of Medicine – Tucson. The UA College of Medicine – Phoenix, an entirely separate college within the University of Arizona, has a similar, but different, program called the Pathway Scholars Program (PSP). You may visit the PSP website to learn more.

Will P-MAP help me apply to medical school?

P-MAP is not meant to help you apply to medical school. P-MAP students are given conditional admission to the UA College of Medicine – Tucson, and they are expected to matriculate here. If you are looking for a program to help you strengthen your application to medical school, the AAMC has a list of post-baccalaureate programs that may be helpful to you.

Can I apply to P-MAP and the MD program?

Yes, you can complete both the P-MAP application and the AMCAS application for admission to the College of Medicine – Tucson directly. Your application to each program will be considered separately.

Do I need to be fluent in a language other than English?

No, you do not need to be fluent in a non-English language commonly spoken in Arizona (Spanish, Navajo, Apache, O‘odham, Yoeme, etc.), but it is helpful. If you are conversant in any of these languages, be sure to explain specifically how you use the language (at work, at home, service to the community) in your application.

What is a professional letter of recommendation?

A "professional" letter of recommendation would be a letter from an employer, faculty member, project/service supervisor or other person who can speak to their experience working with you in a professional or academic/service environment. Professional letters do not include letters from family members, friends or parents. A letter from a physician or other health care worker is welcome, but not required for P-MAP.